Apple recently released the iOS 16.2 software update for the iPhone, and now they have stopped signing the previous version, iOS 16.1.2.
This means that if you upgraded from iOS 16.1.2 to iOS 16.2, you will no longer be able to downgrade from iOS 16.2. Apple does this when it releases new software updates that contain fixes for some security issues.
The iOS 16.2 software update also includes a host of new features for iPhones, including a new Freeform app and more. You can view Apple’s release notes below.
iOS 16.2 Release Notes:
– Freeform is a new app for creative collaboration with friends or colleagues on Mac, iPad and iPhone
– Flexible canvas lets you add files, images, sticky notes and more
Drawing tools let you sketch anywhere on the canvas with your finger
apple music singing
– A new way to sing along to millions of your favorite songs in Apple Music
– Fully adjustable vocals let you sing as a duet, solo or mix with original artists
– Newly enhanced beat-by-beat lyrics make it easier to follow the music
iCloud Advanced Data Protection
– New option expands the total number of iCloud data categories protected with end-to-end encryption to 23 — including iCloud backups, notes, and photos — to protect your information even in the event of a cloud data breach
– New setting allows you to hide wallpaper or notifications when always-on display is enabled on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
– Sleep widget allows you to view recent sleep data
– Medication widget lets you view reminders and quickly access your schedule
– SharePlay in Game Center supports multiplayer games, so you can play with people on FaceTime calls
– Activity widget lets you see what your friends are playing and their in-game achievements right from the home screen
– Live Activity on the Apple TV app lets you follow your favorite team with live scores on the lock screen or in Dynamic Island on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
– Improved reliability and efficiency of communication between smart home accessories and Apple devices
This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
– Improved search in Messages lets you find photos based on content, such as dogs, cars, people, or text
– Turning off the Hide IP address setting allows iCloud Private Relay users to temporarily disable the service for specific sites in Safari
– News articles in Weather display information related to the weather in that location
– Participant cursors in notes allow you to see real-time indicators as others make updates in shared notes
– AirDrop will now automatically revert to contacts-only after 10 minutes to prevent unwanted content from receiving requests
– Collision detection optimization on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
– Fixed an issue that caused some notes not to sync with iCloud after an update
Some features may not be available in all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple Software Update, visit this website:
The new iOS 16.2 software update is now available for download, and you can install the update by going to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install. If you upgraded to iOS 16.2, you will not be able to downgrade to iOS 16.1.2.
Filed Under: Apple, Apple iPhone
The latest geek gadget deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles contain affiliate links. Geeky Gadgets may earn affiliate commissions if you purchase an item through one of these links. Learn more.